Skip to main content

Kirchhoff laws

Kirchhoff's Laws


There are some simple relationships between currents and voltages of different branches of an electrical circuit. These relationships are determined by some basic laws that are known as Kirchhoff laws or more specifically Kirchhoff Current and Voltage laws. These laws are very helpful in determining the equivalent electrical resistance or impedance (in case of AC) of a complex network and the currents flowing in the various branches of the network. These laws are first derived by Guatov Robert Kirchhoff and hence these laws are also referred as Kirchhoff Laws.



Kirchhoff's First Law – The Current Law, (KCL)


Kirchhoff's Current Law or KCL, states that the “total current or charge entering a junction or node is exactly equal to the charge leaving the node“. In other words the algebraic sum of ALL the currents entering and leaving a node must be equal to zero, I(entering) + I(leaving) = 0. This idea by Kirchhoff is commonly known as the Conservation of Charge.


KCL.gif



Kirchhoff's Second Law – The Voltage Law, (KVL)


Kirchhoff's Voltage Law or KVL, states that “In any closed loop network, the total voltage around the loop is equal to the sum of all the voltage drops within the same loop”. In other words the algebraic sum of all voltages within the loop must be equal to zero. This idea by Kirchhoff is known as the Conservation of Energy.



KVL.gif



Kirchhoff's Circuit Law Example:


Find the current flowing in the 40Ω Resistor, R3

example kirchhoff.gif


The circuit has 3 branches, 2 nodes (A and B) and 2 independent loops.

Using Kirchhoff's Current Law, KCL the equations are given as;
At node A :    I1 + I2 = I3
At node B :    I3 = I1 + I2

Using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, KVL the equations are given as;
Loop 1 is given as :    10 = R1 I1 + R3 I3 = 10I1 + 40I3
Loop 2 is given as :    20 = R2 I2 + R3 I3 = 20I2 + 40I3
Loop 3 is given as :    10 – 20 = 10I1 – 20I2

As I3 is the sum of I1 + I2 we can rewrite the equations as;
Eq. No 1 :    10 = 10I1 + 40(I1 + I2)  =  50I1 + 40I2
Eq. No 2 :    20 = 20I2 + 40(I1 + I2)  =  40I1 + 60I2

We now have two “Simultaneous Equations” that can be reduced to give us the
values of I1 and I2
Substitution of I1 in terms of I2 gives us the value of I1 as -0.143 Amps
Substitution of I2 in terms of I1 gives us the value of I2 as +0.429 Amps
As :    I3 = I1 + I2

The current flowing in resistor R3 is given as :  -0.143 + 0.429 = 0.286 Amps

and the voltage across the resistor R3 is given as :   0.286 x 40 = 11.44 volts

The negative sign for I1 means that the direction of current flow initially chosen was wrong, but never the less still valid. In fact, the 20v battery is charging the 10v battery.


 

Comments

  1. […] The nodal analysis and the mesh analysis are based on the systematic application of Kirchhoff’s laws. […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] analysis is based on Kirchhoff Voltage Law.  It uses the mesh currents as the circuit variables. we can use Mesh Analysis to find out the […]

    ReplyDelete
  3. […] respective instantaneous currents through them. These currents satisfy Kirchhoff’s Current Law. Again, suppose these branches have instantaneous voltages across them are v1, v2, v3, […]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tellegens Theorem

Tellegen theorem states that  the summation of instantaneous powers for the n number of branches in an electrical network is zero. Suppose n number of branches in an electrical network have i 1 , i 2 , i 3 , .............i n respective instantaneous currents through them. These currents satisfy Kirchhoff's Current Law . Again, suppose these branches have instantaneous voltages across them are v 1 , v 2 , v 3 , ........... v n respectively. If these voltages across these elements satisfy Kirchhoff Voltage Law then,

relay

A relay is an electrically operated switch. These are remote control electrical switches that are controlled by another switch. A relay is used to isolate one electrical circuit from another. It allows a low current control circuit to make or break an electrically isolated high current circuit path. The basic relay consists of a coil and a set of contacts. The most common relay coil is a length of magnet wire wrapped around a metal core. When voltage is applied to the coil, current passes through the wire and creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field pulls the contacts together and holds them there until the current flow in the coil has stopped. The diagram below shows the parts of a simple relay. Operation: When a current flows through the coil, the resulting magnetic field attracts an armature that is mechanically linked to a moving contact. The movement either makes or breaks a connection with a fixed contact. When the current is switched off, the armature is usually returned by

Fundamentals of Electromagnetism

Electrostatics Columb’s law  Electric Flux density & Electric field intensity Magnetic Flux density &Magnetic field intensity Gauss law Energy density Continuity equation Magneto statics Biot- savart law Amperes circuit law Magnetic momentum & magnetic flux Boundary conditions Applications (Hall effect) Lorentz force equation conduction, polarization & magnetization Maxwell equations Faraday law, ampere law, gauss law of electric and magnetic fields Law of conservation of charge & boundary conditions Hertzian dipole